ink for thought: the last day

Monday 7 September 2009

the last day

we would wander through a nearby field with our shoes off. hand in hand, grass and poppies between our toes, we would listen to a distant stream gurgling over time smoothed stones like a new born with a favourite toy.

invoking the ancient powers of the storyteller we would bring cloud shapes to life and they would join us for lunch under the shade of a friendly acorn tree.

we would feast on the pure light of joy, filling ourselves with laughter and smiles. we would spend the afternoon contemplating the deep wonders of the daisy chain, mediating to the quiet melody of bird call in early autumn.

yeah, if today was my last I definitely wouldn't be at work

5 comments:

Ms Kayso said...

Hey Blogger!

I started up a twitter to promote blogs and I featured this post! If you have a twitter, please follow & help spread the word. If it all works out, I think it would be another way find cool blogs.

xo

Anastasia B.

http://twitter.com/theblogspot

Mara said...

I really enjoyed this, Joe. Any day could be our last day on earth...really makes you think about what's important, huh? I would hate for my last day on this planet to have been wasted sitting at work, fretting about dishes in the sink or laundry to be done. This piece has inspired me to worry less about my "chores" this weekend and get out there and live. Thanks for that...

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

Good way to spend your last day, it's funny how much time we spend at work but how little it REALLY means.

joe ordinary said...

funny enough, I left my job after writing this. really was too nice a day to spend pushing a pen....


probably not the best fiscal decision I've ever made though....

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

Oh really? Don't tell me ur regretting with ur little reference to good fiscal decisions...?